Thursday, February 14, 2008

Buckingham Square me

As you get to know me it will take a while but you slowly realize my deep dark secret. Now I have to admit that this takes a lot less time for some. Depending on if you’ve seen me dance. This morning it smacked me square in the face. I am in fact a flaming nerd. Under this Jeep driving muscular gay guy skin is a closeted nerd with geek tendencies. Although I don’t have an opinion on who was better Kirk or Picard. Even as a kid I was only looking at the Klingons. This morning I received notice that I’ve been published. Not in Instigator magazine as I would like, but in Deadmalls.com. Let’s start from the beginning shall we.

It’s the day after Thanksgiving in 2007 and I’m driving to work. I’m listening to NPR because that’s what I do when I’m driving to work and not listening to thump, thump music with black divas screaming “Everyone is Free.” That morning NPR had a story on about the website Deadmalls.com and the decline and death of America’s malls. I immediately thought of Buckingham Square mall, this is the mall of my youth. This is where I stood in line for 2 hours to get a Max Headroom T shirt. Later that day I went to Deadmalls.com there was nothing on this chunk of my youth. This is the mall where I fell in love with acid wash form County Seat and where I first learned to deep throat men twice my age in the men’s room stalls. I know, I know “EEEEEEEWW------Acid wash!
The next 6 months brought news that Buckingham Square Mall was to be torn down for a new shopping experience. My Stevie senses started to tingle. This is where my inner nerd tendencies started to come out of the closet. I became a nerd on a mission. I wrote a “brilliant” history of this sad, dirty little mall in a third rate suburb of Denver Colorado, I.M. Pei is spinning in his grave.* I then submitted this to Deadmalls. Just this morning I found out that I’m a published author. Ms. Tracy, my English teacher who failed me 2 years in a row would be so proud.
So check it out, There's not a direct link, search under "Site Updates" then posts from 1/14. let me know what you think.
www.deadmalls.com






*Yes, I know he’s not dead.

No comments: