Monday, January 24, 2022

Ravenclaw / ISTJ

I once interviewed for a Human Resources position with an agency dealing with state employment counseling. The director interviewing me was very much a cut-and-dry HR consultant which I quickly picked up how much of the corporate Kool-Aid they had consumed. There were several hints and statements on the accomplishment of me being a  Myers-Briggs, (MBTI) Certified partitioner.  It was transparent that this person was told to get someone certified, and thought it would be just easier if they hired a warm body that had already had it completed. 

They also attempted to slowly move the conversion into a quick and free classification of their personality. I was met with examples of their extroverted or introverted personality highlighted their career. Reading the writing on the office wall, I began to explain how the MBTI personality questions, with its skill to dynamically add understanding to one's personality drives and differences to a team's dynamics to improve a team's strengths, held no more benefit than the Hogwarts house sorting quiz. How the Sorting Hat had the same potential of identifying strength in personality traits in a team setting. My Ravenclaw status had just as much indication of my skills to a team group and any project being complete than my ISTJ. Clearly, the interviewer did not like my comparison of these two, equally as standard and relevant, programs. Let us say I left the interview happy to be proving my Ravenclawness and my J-ness. 

In thinking back to this encounter, I like to believe two things happened. One possibility is that there is an HR consulting firm utilizing the Harry Potter hat sorting quiz to build better teams, or there's a Reddit post labeled “Craziest interviews I ever had” that I made.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not forget to add nicetoseestevieb.blogspot.com to your favorites tab.