Monday, October 3, 2011

Dining Room

It took the entire day. From 10a.m. to midnight, but I finally have my gay boy dream. A new dining room.


Around 10 in the morning we hitched up a U-Haul trailer and headed towards the blue and yellow of gay Mecca. IKEA. Home of flat packed fabulous.

Already aware exactly what we wanted, the plan was to get some breakfast at the IKEA KAFE, write down the numbers using their tiny golf pencils and load up the trailer of the couple of flat cardboard boxes. We would then whisk home for some hex key assembly so we could sit down for dinner on our new dining room table and six chairs, along with a sideboard to complement the look.

Plans are funny things. They’re so flexible some times. Did you know that IKEA has two-hundred, twenty-seven million dining room chairs to choose from? I did. So on during the very first trip I stated “Oh, cool! I love these chairs! Right here! These are the chairs we should get for our dining room?!” So, when we arrived in the dining room area of the store, freshly filled up on Swedish pancakes I knew the plan. Then, two hours later…. The homosexual life partner and I needed relationship counseling. That’s when we met Chrissie, the lesbian IKEA relationship counselor.
Chrissie helped us make healthy choices about our relationship. That coming to a 100% agreement on what type of chairs we want will never happen: that compromise is healthy. Chrissie taught us a lot that day. She taught me that when your partner is a complete wacked job and just can’t make a decision that maybe you should dump his ass in the department and go shop for while.

Every 15 minutes I would call him. At one point he had 10 dining room chairs lined up in the main isle and asked everyone that walked by, who appeared to have taste take a vote. My pick, won every time. After a long shopping spree on the lower floor I returned to find him with a total, final decision. Leather. It had taken four hours to decide, yet we were ready to leave. Then as we marched to the bins we pasted a vignette with my pick, the hive mind was changed.

After 5 ½ hours we loaded up the truck and headed home. Mexican food, a pizza and two trips to Homo Depot I had my new dining room. Around hour two the question was asked “why don’t we just go to Ethan Allen?” Now I know why we didn’t, if you work for something you appreciate it more.



5 comments:

  1. yeah - we spent 4 hours there last week designing a new entertainment center .... or at least the b/f did, I spent my time in kitchen & lighting . $700 later , new lighting for 5 rooms and a plan to go back for the entertainment center ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...but the chandelier.... just sayin.... cn

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL You have my sympathy! We have a hard time progressing on ANY changes in our home because of those different ideas how how clutter-or-not things should look. I live with someone who thinks they're a minimalist (their actions speak otherwise)...but it really affects my ability to accumulate cool furniture, to paint the walls, etc.

    I think the new set looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooooooohhhhhhhh


    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

    pweddy

    ReplyDelete

Do not forget to add nicetoseestevieb.blogspot.com to your favorites tab.