Monday, July 13, 2020

Home Automation

As you may know,  I am obsessed with home automation. When I first moved out on my own, I remember saving up to by radio-controlled battery operated light switches. I remember being amazed how I could turn lamps on from the other room. I could not imagine how someday I would have a robotic vacuum I would consider a pet, and voice activated... everything. Surely the dreams of the Jetsons. But, now I do; a Roomba that attempts to eat by bedroom draperies on a weekly schedule, and door signal that emails me to inform how I am presently using my front door. It's the future. 

I really do love it. When I approach my home, the lights come on, and music of my choice begins to play. At night, when commanded, the lights dim and relaxing sleep sounds begin. Today, my robot pet, Meeko, began his thrice weekly duty of vacuuming up the bits I leave behind on the floor. He danced around the house and surprisingly left my curtains alone. He, apparently had bigger plans. Making his way slowly to the kitchen he spied the refrigerator, and (this is me assuming) he found himself peckish. Because he began to wedge himself under the door to the fridge. Just at the right angle. The angle and force it would take to open the refrigerator's door. At this point he was stuck and began to email me at work. Over-and over. Alerting me that he was stuck and needed to be un-stuck. The emails went on for an hours. The emails did not include the tiny fact that the fridge door was open. Nor did it mention how he dislodged a bottle of Shallot Vinaigrette dressing. The expensive kind. To drop to the floor and break, the dressing then marinating the vacuum for the remains of the afternoon. 

I do love technology and home automation. Without lifting a finger I had my vacuum marinated and ready to go upon my arrival home. But, since my fridge was open all day, I had no lettuce... no un-wilted lettuce to serve with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not forget to add nicetoseestevieb.blogspot.com to your favorites tab.