Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Gym Time

My gym opened today. Not my real gym; there are no signs of life there. No-sir-ye-Bob. The 24Hour gym's website still only lists Texas gyms being re-opened. And based upon that states upward trend in COVID infections I have no doubt that 24Hour fitness is having one hell of a time keeping those Texans gym rats out of the gym or at least six feet apart. With their tank tops all hot and steamy with just enough fabric to barely cover their perky bosoms....oh..sorry.  I can't imagine how the corporate gyms in Denver are planning to open. But, as of yet; there are no updates.

When I toured my local clubhouse and its gym facilities during my first visit to the place, I was impressed how it was actually a real gym with real weights. Not just the typical hotel or apartment building gyms with outdated cable machines and belt-driven equipment. No, not mine clubhouse, real iron. I mean, there are no heavy plates to press, but hey dumbbells going one 65lbs. That is unheard. As of today, the gym opened. Being closed since March. The safety plan for reopening this oasis in the drought of gym time is apparently one hand sanitizer dispenser plonked down in the middle of the free weights. Hanging on the side is one bottle of "possibly" disinfectant and one roll of paper towels. The "possible disinfectant" did not, obviously list its dwell time (the time it needs to sit, wet on a surface to disinfect it) so I just went with two minutes and prayed down the equipment before and after. But, hey! It's a gym.

I have never been so weak in my life. I have not struggled with 50lbs dumbbells for arm curls since high school. I felt like an old man attempting to do arm curls. I had to force myself to just stop and check in with my mental state. My eagerness was going to get myself hurt. I had to wipe away all expectations or demands on reps and weights. I now have to work my body back into a routine and build my strength. I have never had to do this in my adult life.

On the other hand, it is kind of exciting. Getting back into a rhythm and seeing the development in my body. It's all new again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not forget to add nicetoseestevieb.blogspot.com to your favorites tab.