Monday, January 10, 2022

2022 Nerdventure

So what was my New Year's Resolution(s)? Since 2007 it seems that I list out my resolutions for the new year.  I don’t necessarily believe it’s healthy to only have plans to better oneself at the first of January, but an ongoing plan to grow into a better human should be our natural state. But hey, sure dedicate to a better plan at the first of the year. Who am I to judge?


My major resolve is to break up with Amazon. Yes, online shopping was the best plan during the 2020 pando, but I have become accustomed to click-click-click and new things appear at the door. I don’t feel I’m giving my money to the best company when I need USB cords, or a cat riding a narwhal into battle themed shower curtain. So I have promised that I will find alternative sources for items in my quest to fill my emotional pit of want and need with material goods. 


But, shopping via Amazon is nothing compared to my connection to the beast via technology. Mostly through lightbulbs. Well, and smart, talking home assistants. As you know I started with smart-home tech way, way, way back. Being able to time and remotely switch lighting was the ultimate in cool for me. The ramped up tremendously in the early teens. Around 2015 I invested heavily in a system using local networks and internet hubs to automate lights, sensors and really anything that was home techie. Without going into too much technical detail every light in my house was automated. This means that Amazon’s home assistant could operate via voice control. I could ask Amazon to turn on the bedroom lights to a pre-set scene while I walked down the hall to the bedroom. It really is amazing. 


The future technology of never touching a light switch also means that Amazon’s networks have access to my home network.In simplistic terms.  And more and more it’s striking me as odd. I’m not even sure why. Yes, the assistant is listening 24/7 to human speech, waiting for the command word, but it's also about having an internal network versus a cloud somewhere. So….. this means I have to learn stuff. And I always avoid learning new stuff. I will now have to learn PC stuff, as you know I’m a mac fangirl. So here goes my 2022 nerdventure. Wish me luck as I learn home automation tech. Godspeed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not forget to add nicetoseestevieb.blogspot.com to your favorites tab.