Monday, October 15, 2012

When Sailors Kiss (NSFW)


Sundays are my homework days. I head to my favorite coffee shop, spread out my books and attempt to write my latest class required essay. For my modern history class I’m writing a paper on homosexual soldiers during World War II. Sunday I started researching my topic. 

As I sat amongst my fellow students, we crowed near the coveted available power outlets to plug in the sea of laptops. I soon blocked out my surroundings and searched through a massive amount of online research databases. After finding an amazing article about wartime homosexuality, I dove into the topic. Soon I heard, “Guuuurl! What you reading?!” It was the front desk gay from my gym. He smiled, and asked again. I quickly explained my research into the military’s screening of inductees during the 1940’s and society’s viewpoints during wartime.  I received a slow nod as he wished me fun with that.

Anonymous photographer, Untitled
image of two uniformed sailors kissing* 
Ten minutes passed before I moved from one column to the other side of the page. That is when I noticed the photo the author was referencing…

Well… I guess I found my visual aide for my class presentation. I will apologize for not blurring the naughty bits, but being unable to find this photo anywhere on the web, I did not want to alter it. I find it incredibility important to preserve it in its original state. I find it romantic and valuable in the topic that is so easily forgotten. That during military service, soldiers fall in love.
















*I claim no rights or ownership to this photo. Original photo found: Lee, E. "When Sailors Kiss: Picturing Homosexuality In Post-World War II America." Journal Of American Culture 32.4 (2009): 318-331. and The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction, Bloomington, IN, KI-DC: 44270.

5 comments:

Pac said...

Naughty bits? Are you speaking of the perspective of postwar morality? Because from a modern point of view there's nothing particularly hello...

Just scrolled down further. Nevermind.

Erik Rubright said...

It would be interesting to know even a close guesstimate on how many soldiers fell in love, and how many acted on that.

Wonder Man said...

interesting pic

BosGuy said...

Hmm... there is a bit more than a kiss going on down below methinks. LOL

Jason Mihalko said...

If you didn't already discover this, the original of this image is owned by the Kinsey Institute in Indiana. It was a part of an exhibition awhile back. A crop of the image was used in the late 80s by the art group Gran Fury as part of an ACT-UP campaign.

____
http://irreverentpsychologist.blogspot.com/2013/05/memorial-day-surprise-vintage-sailor.html