Monday, July 2, 2012

The Grass is Greener

It’s funny how we can miss out on personal time. That quality “me” time that is so important for staying centered in this world. With priorities and commitments capturing our time, it is hard to unplug.  The simple act of running away, even if it is for just a couple of hours.

This thought struck me yesterday when I started out for a morning run, and couldn’t remember that last time I ran. My knees couldn’t remember either. Like chunks of rust falling off of an unused piece of ancient machinery, my body slowly began to move slowly down the running path. 

With road trips, houseguests, summer events, and the occasional household appliance catastrophe, the time to head over to Cheesmen Park and open up my personal sacred time had been shoved to the side. The funny part was that my body made me completely aware of my lack of running time. Yes, my knees creaked and my ankles burned, yet it was more the non-ability to shut off the business side of my brain. It was somewhere around the two mile mark when I stopped thinking about emails. At mile three I stopped beating myself up for not blogging enough. By mile four was when Steve returned. The Steve that doesn’t have “commitments” or “obligations” but instead enjoys the particular shade of green that the grass in Cheesmen offers.

You might not even really realize that you are not doing the things that make you truly happy. I implore you to stop and ask, “What do I love to do? Why am I not doing it?”

4 comments:

  1. Those are good things to think about

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, well said and perfectly timed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me time...I love some me time... My husband gets to have a work schedule that allows him to have every other monday off and telecommute on wednesdays... just he and the dogs... typically when I am off, so is he... so almost every minute of my day away from work is with him... i love him, but i like when i can sit and play on the computer with no music, no TV just quiet... no one to look over my shoulder... for the summer I get half days off on Fridays...I try to make sure all chores are done by Thursday so I can just look at naked men on my computer in silence... my ME time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss real "me time". Mine now consists of after the Husbear has gone to bed. It's quiet, but not quite the same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Do not forget to add nicetoseestevieb.blogspot.com to your favorites tab.