Friday, April 22, 2011

PARENTS

Duly impressed with other bloggers* taking up the writing challenge, I have decided to take the blog writing challenge. See all sixty-four challenges here. God help me.

Question Four:
Your parents.

Last week I went to Boise, Idaho to stand next to my father as he buried his wife, my Step-Mother. This is also the first time I sat one-on-one with the man called my Dad. I found myself embarrassed drilling him with questions that everyone else in the family knew. He grew up on a farm in Iowa, went with his brothers into the Navy and served on the USS Valley Forge during the Korean War. Favorite Quote: “Your sister owns the Grand-daughter of Secretariat.”

My Mother grew up on Missouri and will tell you that family history that runs directly back to Anne Boleyn. Apparently, if you can’t claim that your linage traces directly back to Joseph Smith, founder of the Latter Day Saints church then why not a Queen of England? Favorite Quote: “Your sister Becky. She's the one with the Lexus, sauna, and room for a pony.”




My Father, top row second from the left.  
My Mother

3 comments:

  1. OMG I almost pulled a muscle laughing to "“Your sister Becky. She's the one with the Lexus, sauna, and room for a pony.”" I'm glad you saw the Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) reference!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. First of all, kudos on the Secretariat Dynasty. Secondly, awesome fact: Anne Boleyn married Henry VIII on my birthday in 1533. ={D

    ReplyDelete

Do not forget to add nicetoseestevieb.blogspot.com to your favorites tab.